At Apollo Medical Associates, our functional medicine service gives Colorado Springs patients a new perspective to whole-body healing. Functional medicine seeks to address the underlying causes of disease using a biology-based, systems-oriented approach, whereby both the patient and practitioner partner together to create an integrative approach to prevention and treatment of disease. It focuses on interactions between the environment and the 7 Core Physiologic systems. Thus, each symptom or differential diagnosis may be one of many contributing factors to a patient’s illness. The precise manifestation of each cause depends on each individual patient’s genes, environment, and lifestyle. The strategy is to use integrative and functional medicine to identify the most effective treatment that will target the cause, which will then result in benefits that last beyond immediate symptom suppression.
The traditional western model of medicine offers two primary tools to practitioners: medication and procedures. Training in the standard model of care is to match symptoms with diseases, then match the disease with a corresponding drug. While the standard model of care is effective in treating acute diseases, trauma, infection, and emergencies, it often fails in the treatment of the underlying cause of chronic diseases that affect millions of Americans.
Denver Hagar, PA-C is a certified Functional Medicine provider at Apollo Medical Associates through the Institute of Functional Medicine.
He can treat numerous conditions including:
Food allergy, intolerances, sensitivities
Male or female hormone issues
- Does this person need to be rid of something toxic, allergic or infectious, poor diet or stress?
- Does this person have some unmet individual need required for optimal function such as food (protein, fats, carbohydrates, fiber) nature made molecules (vitamins, minerals, accessory or conditionally essential nutrients, hormones), light, water and air, sleep, relaxation, movement, rhythm, love, community, connection, meaning and purpose?
5 Common Causes of Illness:
(biologic, elemental, and synthetic)
(food, mold, dust, animal products, pollens, chemicals)
(bacteria, yeast, parasites, worms, prions, etc.)
(physical or psychological)
5. Poor diet
(SAD or standard American diet)
The environment (the 5 causes of illness) interacts with genes to influence seven core physiological systems.
1. Neurotransmitter and hormonal imbalances
2. Oxidation-reduction imbalances and mitochondropathy
3. Detoxification and biotransformational imbalances
4. Immune and inflammatory imbalances
5. Digestive, absorptive, and gut microbiological imbalances
6. Structural imbalances from cellular membrane function to the musculoskeletal system
7. Mind Body/Body Mind imbalances